...Got a request for a movie or fast food item you'd like to have reviewd? Or maybe just something to say? Drop a note in the chatbox on the side column...


Friday, September 18, 2009

The Panhandlers

The average panhandler never rises above the level of being a common nuisance. They loiter outside of convenience stores, hangout in front of sporting events, and walk up and down busy intersections during a red light. Usually, they just shake a cup and hope you’ll drop in some change. Sometimes they’ll verbalize their request, “Can you spare some change?”

But they don’t really expect or require you to respond. It’s basically a rhetorical question. You can stare straight ahead and ignore them and it doesn’t really bother them. They make you uncomfortable 2 or 3 seconds, but that’s about it. You move on with your day and forget them completely.

But then there is the confrontational panhandler… the one who picks you out of a crowd and confronts you directly. Perhaps you made the mistake of making eye-contact or fit some general description of the kind of person they deem likely to fork over some money. This panhandler will walk up to you, make eye contact, and usually give you a hard luck story. There is no, “look straight forward and ignore,” option; if you want them to go away you’re going to have to look them in the eye and say, “no”.

It’s a strategy that probably works more often than they passive aggressive change cup method. People have a hard time telling someone “no” when they’re standing in front of them. I however, have no qualms or moral dilemma saying, “no”. In fact, I almost enjoy it.

There is nothing more satisfying than pulling off your earbuds with a pained grimace on your face, (as if you were a surgeon being interrupted in the middle of an appendectomy) and then interrupting their bullshit story midsentence with a curt, “No” as you turn and walk away.

But last week I was actually thrown off my game by a confrontational panhandler… In my defense, it was five o’clock in the morning and I was trying to catch the train on my way to work. The girl who confronted me was in her mid-twenties. She wasn’t dressed in stereotypical panhandler attire. She was clean. She had a genuinely apologetic look on her face. And although her story wasn’t anything special, it felt genuine. She said her car had been towed and she was just trying to get back home to Frederick… That caught my attention because Frederick is where I grew up.

I asked her what part of Frederick, and she told me “Jefferson Street, next to McCurdy Field…” That wasn’t far from my old neighborhood in either geographical location or social status. The same rowhouse and duplex lined streets… The same rundown liquor stores… The same working class people who flash toothless smiles and are quick to offer you a story or a beer.

At that moment I felt like I knew her. Had I stood there and talked to her for a couple of minutes I’m sure I would have known some of the same people or traveled through the same schools as she had… But I didn’t stand there and talk to her.

What I did was explain to her, as sincerely as possible, that although I wanted to help her, I didn’t have any cash and I was running late for work.

I apologized profusely but the truth was, I was actually a little early and I had forty dollars in my pocket.

“That’s okay,” she responded. “I understand completely... I’ll be okay.”

She didn’t say it in a sarcastic or disappointed tone. Her tone was actually one of a reassuring nature. She really didn’t want me to walk away feeling guilty for not giving her any money… but of course, since I knew that I was lying to her that’s the exact feeling I walked away with... Guilt.

And it stayed with me for quite some time… I can’t completely explain why I didn’t help her. I knew she was telling the truth. I felt genuine sympathy for her story. And it wouldn’t have hurt me to give her ten or twenty dollars… I just didn’t do it.

------

Yesterday, Moe Greene was eating his lunch in a Burger King parking lot. A girl approached his car. She wasn’t dressed like a panhandler. She was in her mid-twenties. And she had a genuine story about how she had come from Virginia in search of work and an escape from an abusive boyfriend… but things hadn’t worked out and now she had no place to stay.

When he asked her, “What do you want from me?” she started crying.

He told her to get in the car, drove her to a motel, paid cash for a room, and then let her keep change so she could get something to eat.

It coast him sixty dollars and he ended up coming back late from his lunch break.

These girls were both in our age group… both had genuine stories… and both were asking for help. Moe had no real personal connection with his girl and her problem was both complex and more expensive… My girl grew up maybe 15 blocks from where I grew up, and could have had her problem solved with a twenty dollar bill...We both had the money to help. But only I really had the time.

And yet Moe stopped his day to help, and I just walked away.

5 comments:

HispanicPundit said...

I'm one of those people that give NO money to bums. I am strongly against it and if you are with me and do it, I usually try to step in and prevent you from doing so - it bothers me that much.

My belief is simple: if you really want to help the poor, do it the efficient way and save all that money and give it to a charity or organization that will take the time to separate the druggies from the real needy. Just blindly giving money to bums only makes them worse. You are subsidizing their alcoholism or drug addiction or whatever (actually, there is this lady in her mid 40's, with a serious case if leg fungus, who is yet always walking around our neighborhood picking up cans and bottles - i mean ALWAYS - and she never begs, always works for her $$ even with her SERIOUS leg condition...I've had the urge to give her a $20 or so on more than a couple occasions but im always worried she will get offended).

With that said, there are the occasional situations where a person is really in need and just desperate for a some assistance. But even then, Id probably still err on the side of no, cuz Ive been jaded by growing up in Compton. As anybody familiar with cluck heads will tell you, they can be pretty creative in story telling. I've heard stories where its basically life and death for you to give them, no lend them, that one dollar. After a few times of being fooled with those stories, I've become pretty adept at saying no in ALL circumstances.

My dad is even more of a hardliner than I am. He grew up in the ranches in Mexico. He says even if they are not drug or alcohol addicts you should still not give them money. Basically if you dont work you starve, so should be the rules of society.

HispanicPundit said...

I should also say though, regarding my dad, that if you do work he is the very opposite - very generous. If he sees you selling oranges, flowers, whatever, he usually buys some and tips BIG. One time he gave me a coscoron in Mexico for giving less than $10 (american dollars, mind you), to one of those people that help carry your luggage. He said that is what they survive by, tips, they dont get a wage. My simple $5 is nothing - after all, 'eres un enginiero'. LOL. So $10 he got.

Unknown said...

I think I probably became jaded about giving money because there have been a bunch of crack heads and con-artists in my own family... I grew up being told, "no matter what your uncles ____ or _____ say, never give them money or leave them alone in the house!" and it just stuck with me.

Very rarely do I give money. In fact I don't think I've EVER given money to someone who does the story routine. Occasionally I'll give some change to someone who's doing the passive aggressie cup thing, or just asks for some change and I happen to have some in my hand when they ask... but something about being told a BS story bothers the shit out of me. I hate the idea of them walking away thinking they outsmarted me or hustled me out of money.

that being said, I should have given this girl the money... she wasnt a bum or a begger. she wasn't trying to hustle. in fact, based on some things she said, I did some asking around and I'm 90%sure I know someone that knows her, which gives me mixed feelings. glad to know my instincts were right about her being for real, but worse to know that I didnt help out someone from home.

I can't speak for Moe though... in general, he's way more willing to give... not that he falls for the BS stories, he's just more suseptable to the guilt trip.

Teresa said...

I never give either. I just say 'sorry' and walk away.

A.D said...

We went to Baltimore for my birthday one year....I was already trashed by the time we got there because I was drinking in the limo with about 15 other people. I had bought minatures and had 1 vodka left over....They all kept giving me water to drink....because they all know that I had enough....We had some panhandler come to the window of the limo and ask "does anyone have a cig"...I said nope...you want some vodka...so i gave a bum my last minature....LOL...And then my brother in law took him to the nearest McDonalds and bought him a cheeseburger...He said, I know where this money will go if I just give it to you..so what do you want to eat...He sat outside McDonalds and enjoyed his vodka and cheeseburger......We sped off in the limo.......