...Got a request for a movie or fast food item you'd like to have reviewd? Or maybe just something to say? Drop a note in the chatbox on the side column...


Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Back 2 School

I’ve been thinking about going back to school… That’s not really news because I think about going back to school all the time. But this time is different... No really... I’ve actually done a bunch of research. I’ve even picked out a school and a start date.

Right now I’m in the process of applying and figuring out how to pay for it all, and it actually looks like this might somehow work out!

I’m going to start small with some pre-law classes at George Mason University but hopefully it will all finish up with a Supreme Court nomination.

My first cousin is a lawyer and although he’s admittedly smarter than me, I figure he’s only like 5 to 10% smarter.

He graduated from Maryland with a 4.0 and then went on to Law School at North Carolina… So according to my 5-10% calculation, I should be able to at least squeak through at George Mason and then get into one of those fly by night Trucking/Law Schools on TV.

I’ll have to take the LSAT though… I’m not sure what my cousin got on that but I’m sure it was a pretty good score… I should probably do some quick research to see just how hard this test actually is, I'll be right back…



...okay I'm back... I found some LSAT sample questions on the internet… I only read the first two questions, but I got them both right! I decided to walk away from the sample test right there with my 100% record in tact.

And the best part was that I didn’t even have to turn off my iPod to answer the questions! If results like that don’t project a sterling career of legal success than I don’t know what does…

I’m not exactly sure how the legal career will fit into the Uruguay plan… maybe when I get nominated to the Supreme Court I’ll have turn it down in exchange for the diplomatic appointment of my choice… I bet being the US ambassador in Uruguay is a pretty kick ass job… I’m sure I could handle it, let me do some more research...



...okay, maybe Ambassador to Uruguay would be a stretch... The guy who has the job now (Frank E. Baxter) went to Berkley, was CEO of a “global investment bank” in London, and then started his own “electronic institutional brokerage” which is now listed on the NY Stock Exchange.

After that he then went on to serve as director of the NASD, and even “served as Chairman of the committee, which resulted in the spin-off of NASDAQ.”

--Gulp-- That’s a little out of my league I guess.

Is it really that hard to be the Ambassador to Uruguay?! Nothing happens there, it should be easy. I was expecting a bio more along the lines of this:

“Mr. Baxter successfully managed several 7-11 franchises in California before a chance meeting on a golf course with President George W. Bush where he was offered and accepted the position of Ambassador to Uruguay.”

Maybe he’s just way over qualified for the position… yeah, that’s probably it… I can probably still get there. After all, my cousin is like, really smart, and we share the same gene pool…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck "J-K"

Obesio said...

I read a book "At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig: Travels Through Paraguay," that you might find interesting.

HispanicPundit said...

Hey! You live close to George Mason University?!?! You should definitely take some classes there if you get the chance.

George Mason University is a fast rising University, and their law and especially economics department are world renowned. Some of their economic professors have even said they would let any student into their classroom for free! See
here.

HispanicPundit said...

I found a more useful link here. So there you are, if he ever says anything, show him that! :-)

cindylu said...

You know me. I'm all for going back to school.

I have a friend who used to work as a counselor or something at George Mason.

Have you seen the LSAT prep books? And the BAR prep books? And not to mention, the tiny writing and really thin pages of law books? Ugh.

Lastly, I think what was missing with Baxter's biography was: "he donated a lot of money to the Bush campaign." I think a lot of appointments are made that way... There's still hope for being the ambassador to Uruguay!

Joel said...

obesio- thanks, I just gave it a look on amazon and it's calling my name.

hp- damn you sound like an ad for GMU, but what you say is correct. it's pretty weird for anyone from the DC area to see how far they've come in the last few years. in '98 when I graduated from HS it was just considered a commuter school used as a fall back if you couldn't get into UMD, or any of the DC schools... I never even considered applying there, which I deeply regret now... At the time they were even offering In-State tuition to MD and DC residents!

now kids are saying stuff like "I hope I get in at Mason..."

but oh-well, better late than never... I might even check out some free economics classes!

cindylu- the dream might be over if I have to give money to a politician... I could see myself maybe giving money to Ron Paul, but that wouldn't really get me that far!

looks like I'll have to make my own way down there...

Santiago said...

Man...I need to go back to school. I just can't bend my brain to having to read and write papers. Ugh!! I was so done in my senior year of BA. I will go back once kids get older. Besides, my wife in school. Yeah that is my excuse. lol

jennifer said...

i'm with cindylu, you should go back to school. i think some of my best students are the ones who didn't come straight out of high school.