...Got a request for a movie or fast food item you'd like to have reviewd? Or maybe just something to say? Drop a note in the chatbox on the side column...


Thursday, March 16, 2006

Drafting I

I went through a couple of really low periods during High School… Grade 10 in particular was a really bad year.

I skipped a lot of school. When I did attend class I didn’t really participate. I smoked a lot of weed. I stole my parents car and went “missing”. I used my Ritalin prescription to make a mild form of speed that I then sold to a preppy kids for way too much money… In general I was a punk, a knucklehead, an idiot... whatever word you can come up with to describe a stupid teenager, that was me.

My second semester of school that year in particular was a real abortion.

One of my more memorable classes was Drafting. The teacher was named Mr. F… he had been teaching at the school for over 30 years. He had seen a lot of drastic changes during his tenure, many in the 10 years leading up to my arrival at the school.

The student body had gone from almost all upper-middle class to an eclectic mix of kids from all races and economic classes.

When I was going there I would say it was 30% Inner City Ghetto kids, 40% white trash, 20% rich kids, and then a random 10% group of immigrant kids who had just started to arrive in our area from Central America.

The part of the city I grew up in is now being gentrified and the school is back to being upper-middle class… but at the time I was there, it was a mad house. And especially in Mr. F’s class.

Mr. F just didn’t seem to have the energy or desire to handle a class room… he was a pretty decent guy, just running out of steam. If you needed his help, he was there for you, but he couldn’t go out of his way to help every kid that needed guidance.

I think he had given a lot of time and effort in the past to kids who went on to later break his heart... at least that's my theory.

Each Monday he would give our class an assignment, and that was it. If you wanted to do the assignment, great… If not, whatever.

He let us sit wherever we wanted. We could talk as much as we wanted. We could listen to our headphones. We could eat or drink in class… he didn‘t care. The unwritten rule was basically, “Don’t do anything blatantly wrong" and he’d leave you alone.

The were two entrances to his classroom. One of the entrances was located right next to the supply shelves and was not visible from Mr. F’s desk.

If a kid was so inclined, he could pretend to be going to get something off the shelf and just walk out of class… There were so much commotion in the room that it was pretty easy to get away with.

Another trick for the less daring student was to ask Mr F for a bathroom pass and then just not coming back for 40 minutes. He usually didn’t notice.

Since this class took place while the first lunch shift was going on, kids were always looking to get out of class and visit their friends.

My girlfriend had the first lunch shift… Moe Greene had the first lunch shift… I wanted to be on the first lunch shift.

I used the 'bathroom' and the 'sneak out' trick all the time. But I also had another trick up my sleeve… Because I was such a fucked up kid, I qualified for what is know as a “Crisis Pass.”

This little piece of yellow laminated paper meant that any time I thought I might stab someone with a #2 pencil, I could whip out my little pass and the teacher had to let me leave… They were supposed to verify that I had indeed actually gone to the Guidance Office later on, but most teachers did not. As you can probably imagine, Mr. F was not the type of teacher that checked.

So I managed to make an appearance at first lunch shift almost everyday… In fact, most kids actually thought I was on the first lunch shift.

Whenever I used the Crisis Pass on Mr. F he would just say, “okay…” and that was it. He never even looked up from whatever he was working on. I could never figure out if he just didn’t care or if it made him uncomfortable to know that I was having a crisis.

One day towards the end of the year I went up to his desk with the intention of going to see my friends during first lunch shift… I had been sneaking out with bathroom passes all week and had somehow managed to actually get caught once. So I decided on this particular day to use my Crisis Pass.

I walked up to his desk. He didn’t look up.

“I need to go to the Guidance Office,” I told him.

“What’s today’s date?” He asked me.

I assumed that he wanted the date so that he could write me a hall pass…

“I don’t need a hall pass,” I tried explaining as I took out my laminated yellow paper.

“What’s the date?” he repeated.

He still hadn’t looked up from the papers he was grading, despite the fact that I was clearly trying to show him my pass.

“May 7th,” I replied- not hiding the fact that I was annoyed.

“What year?”

At this point I thought he was possibly entering the early stages of senility right in front of my eyes… “Mr. F, I know you’re getting old, but if you don’t know what year it is-”

He cut me off.. “Just humor me.”

“Okay… 1996...” I responded. I was very confused at the direction this conversation was going, and I cursed myself for not sneaking out of class instead.

Then Mr. F looked up from his desk and directly into my eyes…“Son, do you remember what was bothering you on May 7th 1995?”

“No…” I cautiously answered. It felt like a trick question.

“How about 1994?”

“No,” I laughed.

“Okay then. I’m going to let you go to the Guidance Counselor but I want you to think about the little talk we‘ve had here.”

Of course I didn’t go to the Counselor, I went to see my friends… But I did think about his question. I still do… I guess his point was, a year from now I would have long since forgotten whatever issues or problems I was dealing with.

Of course that’s not always true, but it usually, it is... Especially at that age… For the most part, there are few problems that can arise in a 16 year old boy’s life that can’t be fixed.

And even though I was lying on that particular day about having a crisis, I had been given the Crisis Pass for a reason… I was, and still am the kind of person who let’s a manageable problem bother me to the point that I become overwhelmed.

I’m not saying that Mr. F’s advice changed my life or “saved” me, but what he told me that day has stayed with me all this time.

At the end of the school year when report cards got mailed home, I knew I had failed every class except English… but for whatever reason I took a look at it anyway. As I made my way down the paper, something jumped out at me. When I got to Mr. F’s class, it read as follows:

Drafting I: First Term- F, Second Term- D, Final Grade- D.

I had passed the class, with a D, but it was still a passing grade… I had only completed one assignment the whole year, it was in the first week of class, and I had copied it from someone else.

I doubt Mr. F remembers that talk. I’m positive he doesn’t my name. But, in a 2 minute talk he probably doesn’t even remember, he gave me one the most valuable lessons I learned in 4 years of High School.

So where ever you are- Thanks Mr. F…

10 comments:

Santiago said...

DC,

Thanks for letting me be there with you. I really like that lesson. Thanks, Mr F.

Mick & Cathy said...

It looks like you put as much effort into your school work as I did.
I was brought up in a small town and in those days education in England was a two tier system. Despite qualifying for the better Grammar school I decided to go to the Secondary school because it was near my home and my mates went there.
A lot of the kids were slow learners and that held the rest of us back (I don't think I was one of the dummies). Lessons were so slow they became boring.
I ended up using more effort in avoiding lessons than I did on any of my school work.
I did end up getting a few qualifications and got lucky getting a engineering apprentiship with a big company when I left. I don't know how I wouldn't have employed me in those days.

sonrisa morena said...

wow!!! see you did learn something in high school!!! a very powerful lesson at that!!! i'm glad you still use it :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice story.
Mr. F reminded me of a teacher I had in Jr. High. I always sucked at Math so of course I was always in the 101 math classes with the "slackers", "tontos", and "troublemakers". His class was exactly the way Mr. F's was. Back then I too was kinda heading towards the wrong direction. Hanging with girls that were "wanna-be cholas". You know the kind. They were a bad influence I have to admit. They talked me into doing some crazy stunts with them in that class. Like scream out the top of our lungs while he was giving a lesson. I mean, nobody listened to him. He literally was yelling the whole lesson. He was just fed up. He was old and the kids knew how to wear him down. I feel bad now. We tortured him a lot. I wish I could go back and tried to change things ya know?

There are people like that who will always leave an impression in your life.

:-)

Thanks for sharing your memory.

Anonymous said...

Don’t you just love teachers! They really do make a difference. I think that for the most part, I can be like that too. It’s really weird, but the smallest things bother me and huge big problems I’m like, “eh, everything will be fine.” I think my “Mr. F” in my life was my mother.

My mother has literally raised herself and it’s amazing what that woman has accomplished in her life. I remember when I was a kid and I couldn’t figure something out, I’d stress. . and she’d say, “¡Que no se te cierre el mundo!” Which basically translates to, “Don’t let the world close up on you.” In other words, figure it out. There’s always a way out, there’s always a solution. She also always told me never to lie, because lies can’t be fixed. How can she help me out with a problem if it’s a lie. . .Another thing I always remember is her saying that crying never solves anything, so stop wasting my energy on tears and just do something about it. When I get really mad and frustrated these tears just start forming and I can’t help but cry. .but throughout my life, I’ve learned that crying kind of clouds my thoughts, it doesn’t help me think straight, so I just got to get up and do something about it.

Life really is much easier when you meet that person who not only gets you, but words things into a way that you understand them. It kind of makes you realize that you’re not alone out there. . .people have been in your situation and back. And it’s always good to meet the survivors, they’re the ones with the best advice!

Anonymous said...

oooh, crisis pass for those really bad days. i want one. if only? but i guess i should be taking a point or two from mr. f and cad.

Vanessa said...

I liked your post. It reminded me of G.'s (much more mild) experiences in high school, particularly this art class he has talked about where the teacher would tell him he just did enough to get by.

My high school experience was nothing like yours--yet still horrible and tortuous in its own way. Is it the institution? the age? the hormones?

under the red sky said...

great post! All of us can use Mr. F's advice...damn, you sure he wasn't like a zen master or something?

Joel said...

Santiago- Thanks for going with me.

white boy rose- I felt the same way about my first good job... I was elated to get the job but didn't quite understand why anyone would give me a job.

Sonrisa- I agree. My High School was terrible but there were a few really great teachers like Mr F.

Bonita in Pink- I know what you mean, I look back on some of the things I did to teachers and just cringe.

CAD- You're right, when you have someone who has not only been there but knows how to give you advice in wisdom in a way you can relate to it makes all the difference in the world.

CC- I was just discussing with Moe Greene that I wish I could have that pass back... I wouldn't even abuse it this time. But how money would it be to be in the middle of an argument or spat with your spouse and say... hold up, time out, I've got a crisis pass- and you could just walk away with no repercussions...

AngelCakes- Everything is fine, don't worry, thanks for asking- I was just doing some reminiscing and thought about Mr. F.

Vanessa- Isn't it amazing how traumatizing high school was for just about everyone involved. No matter what group you hung out with or what kind of school you went to, most kids hated it... and the ones who liked can't seem to ever stop talking about it- go figure.

Gustavo- Mr. F had all kinds of crazy sayings and advice like that. I only had him one semester and I spent most of that time high and listening to music yet I still remember a bunch of funny things you used to do or say... just imagine what kind of effect he could have had on me had I actually paid attention!

Cincysundevil said...

It's funny how you remember those little things no matter the situation. I still remember one of the best pieces of advice I got from an ex's father: The most difficult choice is usually the right one.