...Got a request for a movie or fast food item you'd like to have reviewd? Or maybe just something to say? Drop a note in the chatbox on the side column...


Friday, November 14, 2008

How Much?

Why is that when you call in a delivery order with a Chinese restaurant that they always try to end the conversation before giving you the total? I won't say that all Chinese places do this, but the total is easily over 90%... and that doesn't happen when I order pizza, or wings, or any other delivery place, only Chinese. There is a Chinese place down the street from me that I call once every week or so, and I've had to train myself to quickly say "HowMuchIsThatGoingToBe?" before the woman who takes the orders can hang up the phone.

I've recently discovered, accidentally, that you can take a picture of someone with an iPhone really easily without them realizing it... but what do I do with this power? I've thought about taking pictures of my train crushes to share with the blog, but that would make me a creepy guy taking pictures of women on the metro, and I don't want to be "that guy".

Morena and I were watching the red carpet coverage of the Latin Grammys last night and everything is going as expected when all of a sudden Kenny G shows up... You read tha right, Kenny G! It easily landed in the All-Time Top 25 "WTF" Moments of my lifetime.
There was no explanation given by the announcers. They're reaction translated was basically "look there's Kenny G... [insert awkward pause]..." and then Kenny stood there, alone on the red carpet, holding his saxophone case, and with no reporters within 50 feet of him. I did a quick wikipedia search thinking I would find out the 'G' really stood for Gonzalez, or that maybe he was the illegitimate father of Julieta Venegas or something... but no... nothing...

4 comments:

sonrisa morena said...

Joel the G stands for Gutierrez...just kidding!!! Maybe he is dating a latina and was being supportive. Really, I don't know what the hell he was doing but i'm sure there is a good explanation for it.

E Rich said...

what i want to know is why the hell does he have his saxophone case with him? he's clearly not there to perform, so the only thing I can think of is that Kenny G has a ridiculously low sense of self esteem and thinks that people will only recognize him if he carries around the instrument for which he is famous for playing. its like A-Rod carrying a bat everyone he goes, or Ken Jennings wearing a jeopardy t-shirt in public.

Joel said...

sonrisa/erich- I did some more research and it turns out that he was actually nominated for an award... Apparently they only had 3 latino insturmental albums to nominate and needed a 4th.

why he showed up with his sax is beyond me since I couldn't find anything about him performing.

even when I solve the mystery it just gets deeper.

cindylu said...

I've never ordered Chinese food via telephone. However, my favorite Thai place does that ALL THE TIME. Maybe it's an Asian thing? Luckily, I usually order the same thing and already know the total.